Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Hump Day Happenings and a Tuesday Evening Blessing

Even during these unusual times, it is still possible to carefully gather with friends and support our local businesses which are hanging on by a thread.  For more than 25 years, a group of men from my church has been meeting for dinner every other Tuesday.  The venue has changed a few times, but the format remains the same. We start with a prayer, end with a prayer and whatever happens in between stays there.  Most of the time, it's a lot of tall tales and laughs.  Occasionally, one of us needs some straightening out or has something so heavy on their heart that only a band of Christian brothers can help sort through it.  We probably have about 12 regulars, with maybe 6 to 8 showing up at any given dinner.  Some of the original members of this club have gone to Heaven and others have come along over the years to take their place.  I have become the de facto social secretary and send out a reminder email prior to each event.  Four of us were able to make it last night and it was so good to see each other and hear about how things are going for each other and our families.  

I was actually blessed by one of the side effects of the radiation.  About halfway through dinner, I excused myself, put on my mask and headed to the back of the restaurant for the bathroom.  Lo and behold, there was Lupe, the owner and a dear friend.  Over the years, he has gone on mission trips with me and the Redeemer  gang to Mexico to help build churches in Saltillo and Matehuala and has even been to Africa with me to serve people in the slums of Nairobi.  He's not a member of our church, but is one of our best members anyway!  Just the sight of each other caused us to forget all about the virus and we immediately shared a hearty hug!  It was well worth any risk and I'm not worried, we were both masked.  After pounding each other's backs, we parted from our embrace and shared a hearty laugh.  Thank you, Jesus!  I'll be so glad when we can have contact with each other again and not have to even think about it.  God designed us for relationship with Him and each other.  Our current situation is completely abnormal.

Things went well today, I arrived about 20 minutes before my appointment, only waited about 5 minutes to get into the treatment area and was out the door before my appointed time.  Woohoo!

Today's picture is from Berry Springs Park in Georgetown on July 11th.  It's a Black-chinned Hummingbird drinking from a Pride of Barbados plant in the butterfly garden.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Radiation Treatment. Thank you, Jesus!

I can't begin to express how relieved I am to get my schedule back again after my final treatment today.  While there will be followup d...