Friday, July 17, 2020

Week 8 draws to a close

I now get the weekend for my body to recover some.  While I don't feel anything at all during each treatment, I am well aware that there is damage being done by the radiation, even though it is precisely targeted and the goal is to blast the cancer out of existence.  The combination of the hormone therapy and the radiation is nothing short of amazing.  My understanding is that this type of cancer feeds on testosterone, so by lowering the testosterone to essentially zero for 6 months via a Lupron injection deprives the cancer of the nourishment it needs to live and multiply.  The radiation has the effect on the cancer cells of making them lose the ability to reproduce, while sparing the healthy cells from this fate.  This one-two punch is much more effective than either strategy alone and statistically is very close in end results compared with surgery to remove the prostate altogether.  

I now have only 8 treatments to go, so I am truly in the home stretch now and my minor side effects have not gotten any worse after the 6th week, which is what the radiation oncologist told me to expect.  Thank you, Jesus!

Today's picture is of our cute triplet of Screech Owlets from earlier this spring when they were not very old at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Radiation Treatment. Thank you, Jesus!

I can't begin to express how relieved I am to get my schedule back again after my final treatment today.  While there will be followup d...