Monday, July 20, 2020

Week 9 - My last full week of treatments begins!

Hard to believe I've gotten to this point so quickly.  At least it seems that way now.  Just doing what needs to be done day by day adds up, a good lesson for life in general.  It was good to have the weekend off to let my body recuperate a bit.  So far, I am not taking a lot of meds for side effects.  Just Flomax twice a day, Calcium and Vitamin D supplements and most nights I am taking some Melatonin and Tylenol to make sure I sleep well.  Ever since I entered the second phase of the radiation, they have been avoiding my "plumbing" and are aiming at different areas of the prostate, so the most uncomfortable side effects should remain about the same until I am finished, then they should subside quite a bit after another 2 weeks and I should find out what the "new normal" is like in about 2 months, about the end of September.

I got to my appointment a little early as usual and a new patient on his first day was ahead of me.  He was in a wheelchair, wasn't very communicative and couldn't stand up on his own, so the therapists got their exercise dealing with getting him hoisted onto the radiation table and accustomed to what each treatment would be like.  They handled it with good cheer, the staff is truly among the best I have ever seen in any medical practice and I am thankful that they take great care of me.  I was in and out fairly quickly and was able to go get some pictures of Hummingbirds at a nearby butterfly garden, get my second haircut since the COVID hit and then treated myself to a burger.  A good day was made complete by a 20 minute nap in my Lazy Boy when I got home.  Thank you, Jesus!

The picture for the day is of a Great Egret in flight over Taylor, TX.  They look so graceful once they are airborne, but they also look very clumsy, an eggbeater comes to mind, as they attempt to lift off from a tree or the shoreline, at least for the first 2 flaps of the wings or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Radiation Treatment. Thank you, Jesus!

I can't begin to express how relieved I am to get my schedule back again after my final treatment today.  While there will be followup d...