Thursday, June 18, 2020

My 4th Doctor Day!

If it's Thursday, it must be Doctor Day.  I got in a little early for my appointment in case they could sneak me in.  Everyone loved my picture of the day.  The radiation treatment went as usual, you don't even know it's being done.  One of my friends, who was treated for breast cancer, thought I would benefit from a special skin lotion, since her radiation caused skin problems.  I asked about this today and the radiation therapist told me that the machine I am being treated with actually has the radiation beam moving in an arc over my body and the prostate is being hit from many angles ranging from nearly horizontal on each side and up and over me, so no one area of the skin gets very much radiation at all.  I know some people have expected me to have hair loss or be radioactive, neither one of which is true.  I'm not receiving chemo, which is associated with hair loss and I don't have anything radioactive implanted in me.  I am no more radioactive after each session than if I had been given a dental X-ray.

The doctor is still real happy with my prep for the treatments and I got another Green Check Mark.  Yay!  All kidding aside, it's good to review each week to make sure everyone is on the same page. We looked at the X-rays from each day this week and my bladder was sufficiently full to protect surrounding organs from serious side effects.  I'm all about staying away from serious side effects, that's for sure!

The picture of the day is another one of the cute Screech Owlets I saw at Mills Pond about a month ago.  I haven't seen them since, but that day was special.  They posed for a solid 20 minutes for me and my friend Rob and were still there when we left them.  People were actually getting decent pictures of them with cell phones!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Radiation Treatment. Thank you, Jesus!

I can't begin to express how relieved I am to get my schedule back again after my final treatment today.  While there will be followup d...