Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Tuesday appointment went well

The following is more detailed information about the prep for therapy that needs be done every day and is meant as an encouragement for other guys that are deciding between various options like surgery, hormone treatments, chemotherapy or radiation,  I can honestly say that nothing has been that painful along the way and I was always told what was going to happen next before any procedure went forward.  Yes, some things felt unusual, but it was all quite bearable, so there's nothing to be afraid of guys!

Apparently, one of the hardest things for many men to do is part of the standard prep for each and every appointment.  One hour before treatment, you are expected to empty your bladder and bowels and then drink at least a 16 ounce bottle of water and hold it until after the radiation.  The reasoning behind this is that you want the rectal area as small and far away from the prostate as possible, even with the SpaceOAR device that I had implanted providing some extra protection.  This minimizes side effects in this area that were much more serious in the past.  The full bladder helps push other tissue and organs out of the way and protects the bladder itself.  If it were empty or partially filled, it can fold over on itself and more of it is exposed to damage, plus the other areas become less protected as well.  I am thankful that so much progress has been made in the last few years in mitigating side effects, most of which go away a few weeks or months after therapy ceases.

As far as staying hydrated goes, I'm a star.  Ever since having a kidney stone removed physically two years ago, not crushed with sound waves, I have been careful to drink a minimum of 3 liters of water a day as instructed by my urologist.  During the later stages of my treatment, I may have a harder time holding it, so the oncologist already has me doing exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles that control this.  They've thought of everything, this isn't their first rodeo!  Even though the clinic is not at full capacity due to Covid, I did find out that at least 60 men are being treated daily just like me.  Imagine how experienced the entire staff of this radiation oncology practice is, seeing so many folks day after day.

I had to wait a while for my session yesterday.  It turns out that Monday is when many new patients start out and they each need some orientation and it takes a little longer to get them in and out.  Due to Memorial Day, my first Monday last week happened on Tuesday.  Also, delays can happen because the equipment is very complex and can self-detect small problems before they become big ones.  The machines will only operate if everything is optimal, sometimes a part needs to be replaced, other times a service call from the manufacturer is needed.  If delays are less than an hour, it is hoped that patients will stay around and remain hydrated.  If longer, a day is added onto the end of the schedule since all treatments are necessary.  All of this comforts me that everything must be in order or everything stops until it is.

Here is the picture of the day for the staff.  It's a Yellow Crowned Night Heron at Mills Pond burping.  I call it "When you've gotta belch, do it!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Radiation Treatment. Thank you, Jesus!

I can't begin to express how relieved I am to get my schedule back again after my final treatment today.  While there will be followup d...