Monday, July 13, 2020

Week 8 begins - a good Monday for a change

After 2 Mondays in a row that were disasters, I'm glad my new appointment time of 11:30 worked out well.  I was at Berry Springs Park in Georgetown this morning at dawn and got to see Painted Buntings, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo and several Hummingbirds for highlights, as well as a Downy Woodpecker.  I got some good shots of each of them before they flew far, far away!  I had to time when to come home and left at 8:30 just to play it safe so I could get a few things done before getting prepared to go into my appointment.  I hiked for about an hour and a half and drank a 20 ounce bottle of water, which is not nearly enough, given that it was almost 80 degrees at dawn.  I'd like to do about a quart an hour to stay good and hydrated for my radiation treatment.  I did pound down a lot of water on the drive home and once I got there.  This new time will take a little getting used to.  I'm hoping to still be able to do a couple of hours in my boat early one morning this week, I'll just have to stay focused on the time.  

After today, I have 12 more treatments to go.  Things are still going well, none of the possible side effects of the radiation or the hormone therapy like hot flashes, weight gain, incontinence or diarrhea have manifested themselves in any big way.  I've been very blessed so far in each of these respects.

"OH NO!!! My wife gave me a Covid haircut!"  Today's picture is of a male Cardinal I took last week at Commons Ford Ranch near Lake Austin.  This Cardinal is molting, the changing out of all of his old feathers for new ones.  Some bird species do this more than once a year.  It happens in an orderly fashion, obviously all of the flight feathers couldn't fall out at the same time or a bird would be helpless.  I have seen other Cardinals and Blue Jays that were completely bald, it looked like they had a turtleneck sweater on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Final Radiation Treatment. Thank you, Jesus!

I can't begin to express how relieved I am to get my schedule back again after my final treatment today.  While there will be followup d...